How to Prep Your Room for Painting
- Putty Knives
- Sanding sponges
- 220-grit sandpaper
- Pole Sander
Before doing anything, clear away anything that get’s in the way of your painting
- Switch plate covers
- Window treatments
- Light fixtures
- Small electronics, plug-in appliances or easy-to-move furniture.
Step 1: CLEAN
- Clean the walls with a sponge and mild detergent from the bottom up.
- Rinse the sponge frequently as you clean.
- Make sure all walls and surfaces are completely dry before you paint.
Step 2: SMOOTH
- Lightly sand the walls
- Fill in any imperfection you can see from 5 feet away in normal lighting
- Sand all your repairs for a smooth finish.
- Finally, vacuum up any dust and debris.
Step 3: PROTECT
- Cover floors and any furniture in the room with drop cloths.
Don’t forget to use FrogTape® on any areas you don’t want to paint, like baseboards, trims, windows or doorframes. More tips before you start to paint? Add a coat of primer so your old paint doesn’t show through and makes it possible to finish the job in just one coat of paint.
DIY Ticking Stripe Wall
Brooke from All Things Thrifty gave her master bedroom a makeover with this DIY Ticking Stripe Wall. Inspired by the 2021 Design Trend "Rest Easy."
Colorful Built-In Work Space
KariAnn from Thistlewood Farms gave her built-in home office space a pop of color based off of the 2021 Design Trend, Work Hard.
DIY Painted Chess Set
Haneen from Haneen's Haven created this fun DIY chess set to showcase the 2021 Design Trend, Live Well.
Easy Outdoor Picnic Table
Ashley and Jamin from The Handmade Home loved creating a simple outdoor picnic table for their family and friends, to celebrate the 2021 Design Trend, Eat Well.