How to Prep Your Room for Painting
- Putty Knives
- Sanding sponges
- 220-grit sandpaper
- Pole Sander
Before doing anything, clear away anything that get’s in the way of your painting
- Switch plate covers
- Window treatments
- Light fixtures
- Small electronics, plug-in appliances or easy-to-move furniture.
Step 1: CLEAN
- Clean the walls with a sponge and mild detergent from the bottom up.
- Rinse the sponge frequently as you clean.
- Make sure all walls and surfaces are completely dry before you paint.
Next Step: SMOOTH
- Lightly sand the walls
- Fill in any imperfection you can see from 5 feet away in normal lighting
- Sand all your repairs for a smooth finish.
- Finally, vacuum up any dust and debris.
Next Step: PROTECT
- Cover floors and any furniture in the room with drop cloths.
Don’t forget to use FrogTape® on any areas you don’t want to paint, like baseboards, trims, windows or doorframes. More tips before you start to paint? Add a coat of primer so your old paint doesn’t show through and makes it possible to finish the job in just one coat of paint.
How to Choose the Right Painting Tape for Your DIY Project
Learn how to determine which painting tape is right for your DIY project.
How to Choose the Right Paint Rollers and Brushes
Painting a room isn’t just about the quality of paint, but what tools you use.
How to Apply and Remove FrogTape®
When using FrogTape® painter’s tape, there are a few easy tips you can follow to make sure you get sharp paint lines every time.
How to Choose the Right Paint Sheen or Finish
Choosing the right paint finish depends on how much traffic or moisture that area in your home gets.